The Bishop’s Council is the Standing Committee of the Diocesan Synod and usually meets four times each year. Its role is to:
- Keep mission at the heart of diocesan activity.
- Ensure the communication of this activity to the whole diocese.
- Discern policy on behalf of the Synod and plan Synod business.
- Enable policies agreed by Synod to be put into practice.
- Seek the advice of the Finance Committee on any policy with financial implications.
- Provide counsel to the Bishop.
Bishop’s Council is also the Diocesan Mission and Pastoral Committee, which means it has responsibility for the legal structures of parishes in the diocese.
Elected members are also members and representatives of the Diocesan Synod, so that there is good communication between the two meetings. A list of current members can be downloaded from this page.
The Council is supported in its work by the Chief Executive, the Diocesan Secretary and the Director of Operations and Governance. Other diocesan officers attend as necessary.